Bratislava is the capital city of Slovakia. It has a population of approximately 440,000 inhabitants, but it is estimated that over 660,000 people live in the city. Bratislava is the biggest city in Slovakia and the administrative, cultural and economic centre of the country. Other names of Bratislava are Pozsony in Hungarian and Pressburg in German.
In the past, Bratislava was one the most important economic and administrative centre of the Hungarian Kingdom. Several kings were crowned here – a fact reflected in the architecture and the atmosphere of today’s city.
Did you know, that…?
- Bratislava is the only one European capital city, which borders with two other countries – Hungary and Austria.
- Bratislava and Vienna are the closest two capitals in Europe – only 60km apart.
- Petrzalka – the largest borough of Bratislava – is the most densely populated residential district in Central Europe.
- A cycling bridge connecting Austria and Bratislava should have been named after Chuck Norris, but officials rejected this name and named it a “Bridge of Freedom”
- Slavin memorial above Bratislava is actually an official cemetery for 6,845 Soviets soldiers, who died in 1945 during the liberation of Bratislava
- Bratislava is probably the only city in the world, where you can have a lunch in a UFO
- Visit Bratislava & animation, Top 10 | Visit Bratislava, Wikipedia Bratislava
Facts about Bratislava
|Fact||Value||Explained in context|
|Number of inhabitants||417,389 (2013)||20x smaller than New York City|
|GPS coordinates||48°08′38″N 17°06′35″E||Same latitude as Munich, Volgograd, Seattle, Quebec city or Ulaanbaatar. Same longitude as Wroclaw, Stockholm or Cape Town.|
|Lowest point||126m – Danube river||That is 124m higher than altitude of Washington, D.C.|
|Highest point||514m – Devinska Kobyla||That is 60% of height of the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa|
|Area||367.6 km2||That is 4x smaller than Greater London city area|
|Time zone (winter)||CET or UTC+1||Daylight saving time in winter causes +1 hour shift during summer|
|Time zone (summer)||CEST or UTC+2||Same as in Paris, Barcelona or Berlin|
|Postal code||8XX XX||6 out of 1,353 Postal codes in Slovakia belong to Bratislava|
|Phone prefix||+421 2||+421 is a country code of Slovakia, 2 indicates the Bratislava region|
|Car plate||BA, BL, BT||Last car plate starting with “BA” (BA999ZZ) was issued on 18/08/14. Since then BL is used for newly registered cars.|
|Nicknames||Beauty on Danube, Little big city, City of peace||Or the unofficial one – Suburb of Vienna|
|Electricity voltage||220-volt AC, 50Hz power supply with two-pin continental plugs|
Same as in majority of other European countries
|Emergency contact||112 – General Emergency number 158 – Police 155 – Ambulance 150 – Fire brigade||Hope you won’t need to use any|
|Currency||Euro – € – EUR||Exchange rate of former Slovak crown (Sk) was 1 € = 30.1260 Sk|
|Telecom operators||O2, Telekom (T-Mobile), Orange||Whole Bratislava is well covered with mobile network and partially with 3G/4G internet|